Friday, August 18, 2006


Rock on Nani!

I've had the pleasure of knowing Fatimah Abu Bakar (one of my old mentors back in the journo days) and her four outspoken, vivacious, dynamic daughters.

And when slowly (but surely) they started getting involved with showbiz - I wasn't surprised. Their mom was an award-winning actress back in the day... it might've been genetics as well.

Well when Nani (Sharifah Amani to the world) was awarded Best Actress at the recent Filem Festival Malaysia, I was like YEAH! Rock on! Someone different, someone who's not from the typical "schema" types, a fresh, spirited young actress (and a down-to-earth cool selamba chick to boot!).

I thought her spontaneanity was refreshing, honest. And really it was well deserved, and her win symbolized acknowledgement of movies that have received a lot of flak because it didn't fit the fantasy world of insipid love-tragedies and ethnocentricism.

And then the bigots from the "I Love Akmal Abdullah" camp started their attack. How sad, unpredictable and yet strangely amusing in its simple, narrow-minded shallowness.

The two main issues that have gotten their panties in a twist really made me laugh out loud when I read the news the next few days - and sad because there were leaders of the nation who resorted to nit-picking to propagate THEIR personal judgements to the public as the RIGHT way to think.

Issue 1 - The "If I speak in Malay I'll sound stupid so I'll speak English"
Oh no! Akmal and his crew of bigots must've gotten a hard-on the minute she said that! Mana boleh speeking! Itu kan bahasa penjajah, bahasa budaya Barat yang telah menjejaskan kesucian orang muda kita!
And then misinterpreting the statement to be one that degrades the Malay race was totally out of context. I mean, any idiot could've seen through that sentence. Look, she was brought up in an English-speaking environment, her Malay is probably karat and in that moment she would have problems articulating all the thoughts in her head in that short timespace given.

Issue 2 - The "If films like (Gubra) mencemarkan masyarakat, then I hope more films like this will be made!"
You rock girl! Someone HAD to say it in a VERY public place because Akmal's bigotry was happily aired with no control on the main propaganda network. It's fair. But of course, they're not happy about it because only THEIR bigoted views are correct.
Look, you're pissed because it's not some half-assed love story that keeps the masses sedated and not-thinking.
If you don't like - don't watch lah. We don't rave and complain and whine about how WRONG and UNREALISTIC stupid movies like Main Main Cinta, Cinta Fotokopi, Kuliah Cinta, etc, ad nauseam, are.

Bah. Nani I hope you're not affected by this crap. Keep on the good work, don't ever let them shut you up. And Yasmin rock on!!!!!

3:30 PM

Comments: Post a Comment


The world is a vampire, set to drain
Secret destroyers, hold you up to the flames
And what do I get, for my pain
Betrayed desires, and a part of the game

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage
Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage
Then someone will say what is lost might never be saved
Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage

Now I'm naked, nothing but an animal
But can you fake it, for just one more show?
And what do you want?
I want change

And what have you got, when you feel the same?
Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage
Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage
Then someone will say what is lost can never be saved
Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage



How long can we sit in silence, to BE silenced?
I'd rather die fighting the fight to be ME than live as another drone of the system.
RockSugar is...

Rina O - retired rocker, Noisemaker, Fun Manager, Window-Shopaholic...
"I Say" was her column given a premature death...
...because fluff sells better than alternate viewpoints - thanks to the corporate whores.

She spends her days trying to make television relevant and real... and most times losing the war against superficiality, manufactured crap and the power of the ch-ching!...


Friends

Lelaki Rockers Cina Terakhir
Khai The Ciplak Man
Joyce Da Fairy
Codename : Powder
Catchphrase "That's Haaawwwttt"
MacPao
Bubbly Bel
Peter Brown
Wasted Talent
Joe Kidd


Check them out

-CIPLAK the movie-
-Poke Da Sky-
-The Storyteller-
-MalaysiaKini-
-The Last Communist-
-Bantus Capoeira Malaysia-
-Limmy-Lim Da Sneaker Pimp-
-Centre for Independant Journalism-
-Katagender-
-The Balai Rakyat you WANNA visit-
-Brand New Malaysian-


Rock On!

-Deja Voodoo Spells-
-Love Me Butch-
-Triple6Poser-
-Ahli Fiqir-
-Cassandra-
-Y2K-
-Tempered Mental-
-Nao-
-They Will Kill Us All-
-Butterfingers-
-Dragon Red-
-Seven Collar T-Shirt-
-Prana-
-Carburetor Dung-


I like!


This is KennySia. He's funny as hell!
-PostSecret-
-The Back Dorm Boys-
-Funny Furongjie!-
-Bored No More-
-Gossip You Love To Hate-
-Creative Criminal-
-I Just Want.... Video-
-The Datin Diaries-
-(Work in progress)-




Thank Yous

Deviantart - Image
MIzZ FrEAq - Designer